nafex - [NAFEX] Erroneous plum

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Erroneous plum
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 14:01:08 -0400

I was all excited this spring as the Mirabelle plum tree that I bought and planted last year flowered this spring and set a few fruit, an unexpected surprise.

I have been waiting throughout the summer to see how these few plums turn out, but haven't had much time to pay that much attention to them. Imagine my surprise when I took another look and they seem to be prolate or oblong rather than round and ripening up to a nice purple shade rather than yellow!

Obviously I have been sold a mislabelled plum, probably Mont Royal given that it's obviously hardy in my zone. I don't see I can really get anywhere complaining to the nursery; they do have a year's warranty on their trees but it's expired by now.

Oh well, I guess it's a good thing I was thinking of putting in another plum! I'll have to try and get myself a REAL Mirabelle, but from where I don't know. Who to trust? I used to rank the nursery that I bought it from as one of the more dependable. It would be less worrying if I had more space and funds, but as they are both limited in my case it does put more pressure on my plantings being a success. I nearly had a fit this spring when I bought a potted pear tree that turned out to have pratically no roots!

I am waiting another week or two before I harvest the plums. Hopefully they'll at least be tasty!

Back to the drawing board!

Caren Kirk
St. JeromeQC.

  • [NAFEX] Erroneous plum, Caren Kirk, 08/25/2010