nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Blossom Frost Kill?

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Blossom Frost Kill?
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 15:01:03 -0400

From what I read, painting the trees with interior (least possibly toxic additives) latex paint is supposed to help a little, delaying bloom by maybe three days.

I speculate that protection from low-angle winter sun especially late in the day (north slope, conifers) might help.

The British have developed knowledge of cultivars that have frost-resistant blossom as well as late blooming times. Bloom time is maybe more significant for them since with them it is spread out over a longer season. We in North America don't seem to transmit much information on frost-resistant blossom, possibly because of the greater dominance of commercial growers here.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Richard MURPHY wrote:
Hello All;
I have had frost kill on my apple trees in zone 4 Maine for 2 years in a row now. It's an odd combination of a lot of early degree days, and a sudden cold snap at night that actually did it. (It was not the Permethrin that I thought it was, according to UMaine Dr. Moran (thanks again). I checked out the daily temps and they support her Frost diagnosis 99.9%.)
Is there any way other than sprinkling water, to delay bloom?
Would late-blooming varieties help?
Does it have anything to do with the age of the trees?
Would mulch help?
Last year, my neighbor 3 miles away, (Francis Fenton, 94) had a fine crop.
I think I get more sun than he does, early and late in the day....
In 2008 I had baskets of apples!
AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!
Murph

R A Murphy Jr