nafex - [NAFEX] round up on fruit trees

  • From: "Tim Inman" <Tim@historicinteriors.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] round up on fruit trees
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 14:46:41 -0500

My experience makes me write to say, "No Roundup" on the fruit tree bases.

If you're careful and follow the label directions, you're probably OK.  Don't get it on smooth bark, and don't soak the tree trunk.

BUT, I used to have a beautiful little plum tree that was growing great guns.  I sprayed some Roundup on the grass at the base to help it along.  "No good deed goes unpunished," of course.  I didn't see the little sprouts coming up from the base of the tree when I sprayed.  They were partially hidden by the grass.  Once the grass died, and I saw the sprouts dying, then I knew why the rest of the tree was looking sick.  It was a complete kindling stick a few weeks later. . . .  FYI

"Perfect is the enemy of good."

Tim Inman
Zone 4/5
Randolph, Iowa

  • [NAFEX] round up on fruit trees, Tim Inman, 07/08/2010