nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Currant preserves; another vote for Pomona's pectin

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Currant preserves; another vote for Pomona's pectin
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2010 17:27:58 -0400

Ginda wrote:
"By the way, my jelly is plenty sour -- it is red currant jelly after
all. I don't think I want to add lemon juice. It's just ALSO
extremely sweet. It'll be fine with peanut butter and bread. But
next year I'll use less sugar, and put up with jelly that's a little
soft or a little gummy."

Have you tried Pomona's pectin? I agree with Rivka and others on it's
value in setting jams and jellies independent of the amount of sugar.
It's still a natural pectin, but a different form isolated from citrus
(carboxymethylated).

Again, the runniness to rubberiness and everything in between does not
depend on the amount of sugar added. Do a test batch with whatever
sweeteners you want, and whatever amount of this pectin (directions
included), to get desired consistency. It's been working for us for
years.

Richard Moyer
SW VA, where plums are almost ready for jam.

  • Re: [NAFEX] Currant preserves; another vote for Pomona's pectin, Richard Moyer, 07/03/2010