nafex - Re: [NAFEX] U-Sask bush cherries

  • From: david.maxwell@dal.ca
  • To: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] U-Sask bush cherries
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 15:34:24 -0300

> Hi David and folks,
>
> The Carmine Jewel naturally forms and does well as a 8' multi-stemmed
> bush, although I have seen some very 'tortured' U of S and nanking
> cherries forced to grow as 10' tall single trunked trees. Looked like
> a lot of pruning work to me, but I found the idea intriguing enough to
> maybe attempt someday.

I am quite happy to leave my little plant (which is all of 8 in. high now) as
a bush, and skip the
pruning.

> I'm assuming you are talking about the Purple Passion apple (Windmill
> Point Farm/Green Barn Nursery)? I have two of them entering their
> second summer. Mine also came a bit undersized so they are not
> exactly whips as I hate to prune anything off them yet.

No, this is my error: my cherry is a Crimson Passion. It is another one of
the U Sask series, I
believe, and I shall treat it exactly the same as the Carmine Jewel - let it
grow unhindered. I
got both of them from T&T, at 1/3 the price from Green Barn.

David Maxwell, balmy zone 5b. (Actually damn hot at present - temperatures
up to 30
degrees C, [85 F])