nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Termites in apple nursery

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Termites in apple nursery
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 17:39:08 -0500

I have a similar situation.  I planted a bare root chokecherry tree (small) near an ant colony of some type of large black ants.  I'm not sure what type they are.  They seem to have taken up house in the loosened dirt where I planted the chokecherry.  Will they kill off the plant?  There is nothing growing in the immediate area where they have their colony...

Dan

Chris Garriss wrote:
AANLkTiloCjY2PP8nkqekI6aLOlqVKuhLcQfDQzmqJfLc@mail.gmail.com" type="cite">I decided to resend stand alone this rather than "burying" it in a thread of another email.

I have some newly grated (this spring, currently in 5 gallon nursery pots) apple trees that are doing well.  However, I noticed yesterday that some termites have taken up residence in in a couple of the pots.  I've no experience dealing with termites, and have always presumed they were interested in dead wood, lumber, etc.  Will they attack the rootstock roots even though they are growing vigorously?  And, what can I use to get rid of them without damaging the trees?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Chris
Zone 7 NC (trees will be planted Zone 6 in the fall)

_______________________________________________ nafex mailing list nafex@lists.ibiblio.org Reproduction of list messages or archives is not allowed. This includes distribution on other email lists or reproduction on web sites. Permission to reproduce is NEVER granted, so don't claim you have permission! **YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!** Posts from email addresses that are not subscribed are discarded. No exceptions. ---- To subscribe or unsubscribe, go to the bottom of this page (also can be used to change other email options): http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/listinfo/nafex File attachments are NOT stripped by this list. TAKE STEPS TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM COMPUTER VIRUSES! Please do not send binary files. Use plain text ONLY in emails! NAFEX web site: http://www.nafex.org/