nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Turnbull Giant pear

  • From: Richard Harrison <rharrison922@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Turnbull Giant pear
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 17:28:40 -0700 (PDT)

Doug,
   I bought it back sometime in the 1980's from Henry Field Nursery. It was unusual a little but not that impressive to me. In spite of its name, a lot of years it would set fruit very heavily here in NW FL and the pears would correspondingly be quite small----anything but Giant. Taste was sweet-tart and it was fairly hard. I didn't notice it having the apple-like quality when immature. Maybe they meant you could cook it like an apple then, I don't know. Anyway, I was less than thrilled at the performance of the tree after paying a bit of a premium for the tree. I never grafted off it and still have the tree---so that should say something about my opinion of it. However, different strokes for different strokes--according to Sly. Some might like it, much better than I did.
                                                                Regards,
                                                                Richard Harrison, NW FL
BTW, my tree never grew as big as others planted near it----possibly because the over-bearing may have dwarfed it some. It did bear as a young tree as I recall---which is somewhat unusual for pear trees on standard root stocks.