nafex - [NAFEX] walnut tree death

  • From: mark wessel <growyourown@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] walnut tree death
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 21:57:06 -0400

At one of the estates that I garden for we have lost a fifty year old
English walnut. It could possibly be a carpathian walnut. I haven't been
around mature trees of either to know the difference. Anyway. THis spring it
just didn't leaf out. Last year it showed no signs of decline or stress.
I will give a little background. There was a bit of compaction two years
ago but none within twenty feet of the trunk. There was also a small water
garden installed at the same time that came within 6 feet of the trunk. The
water garden hardly takes up a tenth or less of the drip zone. When installed
they were very careful to damage as few of the roots as possible.
One other occurrence was last fall weather. Very cold and wet October
followed by an extremely warm november. The reason I mentioned this is that
we did loose two other trees this year that seemed to get enough chill in
oct. then pushed buds in november only to be frozen out in december and
January. We do have two other walnuts of the same age and species in a
different area that seem fine. It seems to me that the stress of the water
garden installation and other disturbances would have killed in a much slower
fashion.

Any Ideas? I did read about blackline .?

Mark
Southern Ohio
5b