nafex - [NAFEX] sour apples

  • From: Maria Schumann <mariaschu@vtlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] sour apples
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:21:17 -0400

Last fall, our truck broke down a few miles from home, and as we were walking home we came across the most fantastically sour wild apple I have ever tasted. it was not at all bitter, and not at all sweet-- just pure sour, like a lemon. We took a bagful home and I tried it out in some pies (delicious) and other recipes that call for lemon, like baked chicken (also delicious). This spring we took some cuttings and grafted them-- i would love to have an orchard of these trees! I'm imagining how useful a cider made from these lemon apples would be.

Anyone have experience with lemony sour apples? This tree was not too far from an old farmstead-- maybe it was a planted variety>?

Maria in Vermont zone 3/4