nafex - Re: [NAFEX] one year wood apples

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] one year wood apples
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:00:40 -0700

Tree pruned in January 2009. Grew many new shoots. Now, in April 2010 the shoots are blooming. The difference is that while other apples may bloom at 4 -6 buds (about 20% of the buds, at most) on a 3 foot one year shoot, over 90 to 95% of the buds on the red crab shoots have flower clusters. And even with the huge load of apples that gives, the tree never goes biennial.
I have plenty of apples that produce *some* blooms on one year shoots, but that crab is leagues ahead of them. Nor are the fruits tiny, useless things. Most are large enough to eat out of hand.
-Lon Rombough
Grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/