nafex - [NAFEX] Pawpaw hybrid (?) seed available.

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nutgrowers@yahoogroups.com, nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: rnealpeterson@gmail.com, kirk.pomper@kysu.edu
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pawpaw hybrid (?) seed available.
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:51:31 EDT

Dear Group,

Last spring Les Davis made a trip to Florida and collected pollen of Asimina obovata and overnight expressed it to me. My pawpaws, A.. triloba were in flower. Although I didn't bag the flowers I did close the flower openings with masking tape to reduce the chances of external pollination. I have a few more seeds than I can use and will share some. Please reimburse the postage.  I'd like to limit the seeds to 4 per request. I can't guarantee they aren't pure triloba.

Les also sent pollen of A. incarna (also may be known as incarnata) and have seeds of them. I have these hybrids made a few years back and are presently in bloom. The flower opens white then turns purple in a few days. The raccoons beat me to the fruit last year so haven't had the pleasure or disappointment.

I didn't collect scion wood.

You can read more about A. obovata at:
http://www.archbold-station.org/abs/plantspp/asiobosppacc.htm

Jerry