nafex - [NAFEX] Pine and meadow voles

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pine and meadow voles
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:26:31 -0500

Here in southeastern NY I have the privilege of hosting both meadow and pine voles on my property.  Meadow voles are more common and easier to defend against.  Pine voles are what we call the subterranean ones and they can just be terrible tree killers but I find them to be quite easy to trap if timing is in late fall.  This is when they reliably come up to feed.  One nice thing about mechanically trapping voles is you can see what you're killing.

The pine voles are uglier with dark gray fur and a shorter tail.  The meadow voles have lots of tan and white in their fur and make much nicer coats and stoles (just kidding).