nafex - [NAFEX] Hand Pollinating Pears and Plums

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hand Pollinating Pears and Plums
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 09:56:15 -0400

I have a three year old Patten pear with a few flower buds but I don't think my Stacyville tree will flower this year. I do know of an Summercrisp pear tree about to bloom at a friend's house in a nearby town. Can someone please describe how to collect pollen from one tree to pollinate another?

I also have two three year old plums (Toka and Alderman). The Toka is about 10' tall and ready to explode into flowers but there will only be a few flowers on the Alderman. This is my first year with plum flowers, but I have heard that pollination can be a problem. The trees are spaced around 15' apart. Should I try and aid the pollination?

Thanks.

-Sherlock
Z4 VT

  • [NAFEX] Hand Pollinating Pears and Plums, Sherlock Terry, 04/23/2010