nafex - [NAFEX] Fuzz on apple branches

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Fuzz on apple branches
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 10:09:25 -0400

My last remaining apple whip that was planted last spring now seems to be covered in a whitish grey "fuzz".  I read on a forum at Garden Web that this is normal for new growth but I am a bit nervous as the buds do not seem to be swelling when all my other fruits are.  Also this fuzz was all over my apple and peach tree that didn't survive winter '08-'09, and whose buds never opened either.

Is it truly normal and I shouldn't worry or do I have some pathogen that's killing off my young apples? By the way, my peach is now re-growing from the rootstock (no fuzz) and I have pears, plums, and a crab that have no sign of this (admittedly placed in a differnet area). It's definitely a fuzz and not dead insects.

For reference the whip is a 2 years old Reine de Reinette on M26.

Any comments appreciated as always.

Caren Kirk
Struggling with apples
St. Jerome, QC