nafex - [NAFEX] Winter injury?

  • From: Clifford Cain - uk yahoo <cc_syorks@yahoo.co.uk>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Winter injury?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:23:45 +0100

Hello
I have posted a picture on flickr of a small goblet apple bush of Pitmaston Pineapple.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cc_syorks/4517567992/
The bark on the trunk has peeled away. No sign of infection, no discolouration to bark or underlying wood. I have painted the split with Bezel (fungicidal wound paint)
Last winter was the coldest we have had in 30 years and I have not experienced snow staying on the ground for a week never mind the 4 weeks it hung around for.
The tree is in the ground, on a red clay soil, and is not subject to irrigation.Grass grows under the tree which is mowed a couple of times during the season.
Could this be a cold injury or can someone offer an suggestion as to the cause?

Many thanks

Clifford
Bawtry, Doncaster, UK