nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apricots from Afghanistan

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apricots from Afghanistan
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:25:53 EDT

In a message dated 4/10/2010 7:39:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time, skkewing@yahoo.com writes:

Great point Scott: is there any way we can tell if the plant has Plum Pox while it is still growing inside the house/quarantined before planting it outside where it could infect local stone fruits?

No, there isn't. Determining if the material would be free from PPV is very complicated and PPV can be transmitted through the seed.

I'm not sure what the USDA's position is on planting those seeds is, but I'd bet it is do not. Seeds are permitted in dried fruit but you wouldn't be able to import the seeds separately from countries that have the Plum Pox Virus.

The USDA just spent millions of dollars cleaning up the last PPV infection in the US. The safest thing to do would be not plant them. If we really want to try apricots from that area we should check with USDA, Beltsville to see if they have space available in the next cycle for Prunus and if so, have the desired variety(s) imported. That would also eliminate progeny variations.

The USDA repository may already have apricot Germplasm from that area ready to distribute.

Jerry