nafex - Re: [NAFEX] avoiding termites

  • From: "R Chirumbole" <rcchirum@atlanticbb.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] avoiding termites
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 07:12:43 -0400

Hi Jerry,

Sounds like you already know that stacking firewood right next to the garage is less than ideal, where termites are concerned.  But if you have no other alternatives, at the very least, focus on keeping the wood dry.  Moisture is a key ingredient necessary for termites.  Here are four suggestions:

1.  Keep the wood off the ground.  I use pressure treated 2x4s standing on edge and positioned parallel to each other so that the bottom row of firewood rests perpendicularly on top of them.  The firewood has no contact with the ground and air can flow between the 2x4s to aid in keeping things dry.
2.  Cover the firewood when you expect extended periods of rain or snow.  Otherwise, leave uncovered.
3.  Clean the ground around (and underneath) the firewood occasionally to remove all the bark and chips and leaves that tend collect there and trap moisture.
3.  Monitor the firewood for moisture throughout the year.  When wood-burning season is over, we tend not to think about firewood.  But that's when the termites are active.

Good luck,
Rich
zone 7a, Maryland