nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Tamarind from seed & other groceries, was Apricots from Afghanistan

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Tamarind from seed & other groceries, was Apricots from Afghanistan
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 12:23:37 -0700 (PDT)

My seed-grown tamarind made a nice houseplant for years, looking just like a
little tree with lovely feathery leaves, until I asked my apartment-mate to
water it while I went away for a week. That week polished of many of my
houseplants, not to mention my household appliances.

Anyway, a friend of mine from India said that tamarind trees are popular yard
trees there, because of their graceful form and the soft dappled shade they
cast. I had no plans to plant mine outside, since I live in zone 5.

On the topic of groceries, I bought a bag of dried Chinese haws a little
while ago. They make a really delicious tea. It tastes like the sort of
herbal tea you'd get from an expensive little box labeled
"Apple-Cranberry-Spice Tea" or something. Anyway, these dried fruits have had
most of the seeds removed, but they missed a few. I have no idea if they'll
sprout, but I'm tempted to try them. Then again, I should probably devote my
precious yard space to plants that have a better chance of surviving here.
One Green World says they're hardy only to zone 6. Anyone want to take the
seeds off my hands? They probably need stratification, so it would be best to
start them in fall anyway.

I also bought some Korean Boxthorn tea. It's obviously some relative of goji
berry. It tastes kind of like sundried tomatoes, and is odd as a tea, but
might be good in a savory dish. Anyone want to try seeds from that?

Melissa