nafex - Re: [NAFEX] PawPaw pollenation

  • From: "Dr. Lucky Pittman" <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] PawPaw pollenation
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 08:46:16 -0500

Another wrinkle on the ‘roadkill’ thing – and I’m just sort of ‘stream of consciousness’ thinking, here…

Yes, I would suspect that if you had fresh roadkill, the carrion flies might well be attracted to the attractant and ignore the pawpaw flowers altogether – but if you placed the roadkill or a dead cow(seems like I remember Donna Hudson telling of a particularly heavy pawpaw crop one year when there was a cow that had died during the previous winter near the pawpaw patch) well in advance of anticipated bloom time, perhaps you could come closer to assuring a ready supply of potential pollenators are ready to work when the blossoms open.

Timing could be the key.

Just a thought…

Lucky Pittman

Hopkinsville, KY