nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bears and fruit

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bears and fruit
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 16:50:28 -0400

A 16:13 10.04.05 -0400, vous avez écrit :

The solution to bears I read about is using a nail gun and sheets of
ply-wood at the base of fruit trees.  I don't think you even have to stake
the nailed ply-wood into the ground.  The bears just give up.
<<<<

This is a solution I had thought about but I find it quite cruel.... Also
sometimes my neighbour's dog comes in the orchard, which I think is quite
OK - if the dog steps on the nails, it may hurt him badly.

This nailed board would also probably also be efficient against racoons
that enjoy very much my plums.

Has anyone actually used such nailed boards?

And to answer the original question on bears, here near Quebec, I have the
smaller black bear. Some years they simply don't come as they have enough
food in the forest. On the years their natural food supply is more limited,
they come whenever they start to be hungry I guess. Most years this is when
the late ripening apples get ripe. However, it did happen one year about 10
years ago they started to come by late August and they started eating even
the unripe apples. That year, I had to bring all the apples to the ground
by Sept 10 just to protect the trees as they were doing so much damage.

When they come, if the crop is abundant they will feed with easy go get
apples without climbing and without doing damage. But when the crop is
scarcer, they will climb all the trees with apples, whatever the variety or
the color...

Claude

  • [NAFEX] bears and fruit, Alan Haigh, 04/05/2010
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [NAFEX] bears and fruit, Claude Jolicoeur, 04/05/2010