nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Liveland Raspberry Apple

  • From: kim maser <farnorthgrapes@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Liveland Raspberry Apple
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:06:18 -0600

Doug we had some trees in the Okanagan if I remember right they are an old Russian variety. We used to get a some for the Apple fair at the

LOWLAND RASPBERRY before 1870

"Also known as Liveland Raspberry and Livland Raspberry. Lowland Raspberry is a literal translation of the German name Lievlander Himbeerapfel. A Russian apple of great hardiness, it was imported from Russia by A. G. Tuttle of Barraboo, Wisconsin and was recorded before 1870. Medium in size, it is striped red on a cream background and has tender, white flesh tinged with red. It is fine-grained and the flavor has a hint of sweetness. Trees grow upright and compact and are genetically small even when grown on their own roots. Biennial bearing, the fruit maintains its quality on and off the tree better than most other apple of the same season. The bark is yellowish and the dull, coarse leaves are rounded or oval and closely serrated. The seeds are remarkably small. Lowland Raspberry ripens in July"

 They do ripen early, they have some nice flavors but they don't keep very well. The description of the variety fits quite well. I pruned an old tree in the Okanagan for about 10 years and there were several trees in some of the old orchards.

Cheers

Kim