nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Toka plum

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Toka plum
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2010 13:22:06 -0800 (PST)

Ernest, I'm strongly suspecting that your "Toka" isn't a Toka at all, but a
mislabeled cherry-plum, with that awful-tasting Western sandcherry in its
ancestry. The nursery must have been wrong about either the "Toka" or the
"Cherry Plum" part of the label (or both parts I suppose.) The fact that your
tree is still alive in the cold, plus the fact that the plums taste bad,
both point to the conclusion that it's a cherry-plum.

Maybe I just don't want anyone bad-mouthing 'Toka' since I put a lot of
thought into choosing this cultivar myself last year, and I'm hoping the
fruit are good.

I've been reading about some new cherry-plums that supposedly taste better
than the old cultivars, after some more generations of breeding. Lydecker is
a new cultivar that's hardy to zone 3b. In taste tests, fresh tree-ripe
Lydecker plums were preferred to Asian plums that had been picked underripe
in California, warehoused for a while, shipped across the country, warehoused
some more, and then fed to taste-testers.

Lydecker is being marketed under the name 'Blackice' which doesn't sound much
better than 'Bubblegum' to me. Who thinks of these marketing names?

There are so many interesting plums out there, I wish I had more room to grow
them. I might have to learn how to graft a few more varieties onto the few
trees I have.

Melissa