nafex - [NAFEX] pawpaw varieties

  • From: Martha Davis <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] pawpaw varieties
  • Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2010 18:26:47 -0700

Last fall I was lucky enough to taste Shenandoah, Susquehanna, and Allegheny. Shenandoah was clearly the mildest tasting of the three, while Susquehanna and Allegheny had a much more distinct paw paw flavor, which I prefer.  The allegheny fruit were the smallest and seediest. All three were much much better than the wild paw paws I have eaten from 4 different stands.

Alex

I agree with Alex about Shenendoah being mild.  I find if I have just a bite or two I prefer the stronger flavored ones, but if I want to eat pawpaw in quantity as in 2-3 fruits then I prefer the milder ones.  If you plan to cook (as in apply heat, as opposed to a salad) with them, get a stronger flavored sort since the flavor seems to barely hold up with cooking.  Also absolutely don't include any skin or seed bits, they don't taste good and tend to make  people sick.

Martha

  • [NAFEX] pawpaw varieties, Martha Davis, 02/05/2010