nafex - [NAFEX] Cornus Mas in New Mexico

  • From: Martha Davis <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cornus Mas in New Mexico
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 18:17:01 -0700

 I live in New Mexico at around 7,000 feet.  While I have not gotten my Cornus mas in yet a friend in the same area has.  She grows hers on the north side of her 2 story house.  The ones in the shade have twice the growth that the one in the sun did.  After she put in an artificial (astro turf) lawn, it acted as a mulch and water sink for the plant in the sun and it's growth is much improved and it is catching up to the other two.  She doesn't have named varieties, but general landscape run.  Most years the bushes set and mature fruit here, but not always. In Illinois the bloom was able to tolerate what the Chicago suburbs could hand out, but the amount and severity of temperature swings here in New Mexico are more extreme. When I grew Cornus mas in Illinois it was considered an indicator plant for when the garden in general needed water so water is likely to be a major issue.  The soil my friend has, has been managed organically for a long period and she collects rainwater so I think at this point the sodium salt levels are likely to be low.

Martha Davis
Los Alamos NM