nafex - Re: [NAFEX] shrub for shade re Q of Jerry in Indiana

  • From: Patsy King <pking888@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] shrub for shade re Q of Jerry in Indiana
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:56:24 -0800

------------------------------

Hi Jerry, How about "evergreen huckleberry" which is a shrub, does fine in shade AND has good fruit?  I have several in varying degrees of shade, and even at a foot or so tall, mine have had fruit!    It is Vaccinium ovatum, I believe, and here's a link to quite an informative article from rainyside.com:

http://www.rainyside.com/features/plant_gallery/nativeplants/Vaccinium_ovatum.html

I also had musk strawberries recommended years ago for shade by Raintree Nursery's catalog, unless I am remembering wrong.  Now when I look at their site, I don't see mention of exposure.  But maybe more hunting online would give more information on them.

anyway, have fun!
--Patsy  zone 8 SW Oregon

Message: 5