nafex - Re: [NAFEX] leaves around peach trees

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] leaves around peach trees
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:26:04 -0500

Hi Richard and Toni,

I lost my newly planted Reliance peach tree this spring, but from the rootstock that I left in the ground has sprung a sucker that I am experimenting with.  It's already about 4ft but obviously a very thin whip.  I am a bit like Toni in that I was trying to work out the best way to make sure it has the best chances of surviving our winter.

Same goes for 2 2-year-old apple whips I have.  I would be really pissed to lose those this year!

I do protect for voles and I do mulch but I am thinking of wraping them tightly to a post as well for additional support. We get a very decent covering of snow (at least 2ft) usually but the wind can be pretty strong.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Caren
St. Jerome, Quebec