nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Currant pine blister rust hazzard

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Currant pine blister rust hazzard
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:14:18 -0500

An important reason why the restrictions were removed was because white pine ceased to be an important timber crop. Also because it was found that under ideal conditions disease spores could travel hundreds of miles.

I have seen blister rust on susceptible varieties of black currants, and most varieties are susceptible. The most notable exceptions are Consort, Crusader, Coronet, and many of the Russian varieties. I believe that the person to whom you are referring is Greg Quinn whose company is a www.aucurrant.com.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book