nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blue persimmon seeds wanted...

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blue persimmon seeds wanted...
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 23:06:54 -0600

Yuck. From what I know of blue persimmons, they are just the ones with the most tannin. Pretty much inedible till frost, and maybe not then. The orange ones are better eating. I thought we were in the armpit of persimmon genetics till I went up to Overton co TN where we got a tour of a large cow pasture with many blue persimmons .
If the seeds were planted the trees would look exactly like seedlings from good varieties, and would take up exactly as much room, and take just as long to crop. Half would be males, and the others would produce blue, yes, but inedible fruits. What's the point? They'd do better to amuse themselves by grafting a branch from a known female blue persimmon onto a good quality tree. That way they could show someone the difference without all that wasted space and time. Donna