nafex - [NAFEX] Exploring hardy Peaches

  • From: Evelyn Mellott <e.mellott@xplornet.ca>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Exploring hardy Peaches
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:30:03 -0700

Subject: NAFEX EXPLORING COLD HARDY PEACHES

In the last Pomona ,Fall 2009 Jim Noted that he has found if the Peach pit does not freeze the tree won't be hardy. Is this because the seeds that are not hardy don't survive the extreme cold to germinate or does it actually increase the hardiness of the potential tree. I've often started hardy and less hardy seeds just by giving the proper chilling ( in the Fridge which does not freeze but will germinate earlier and can be started inside earlier) because this gives my little tree more time to mature before it has to harden off for the winter. This is a interesting observation. Any further info on this topic Jim.
Evelyn