nafex - [NAFEX] squirrels in apples

  • From: "nuttrees" <nuttrees@prtcnet.org>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] squirrels in apples
  • Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 09:53:22 -0500

Jerry

I have come to the conclusion that the Squirrels can’t be stopped you my slow them down but you can’t be there all the time.   Here in Kentucky the squirrel population was so plentiful this year that the squirrels came in herds.  They were so many killed on the roads and even in areas on the interstate there was streaks’ on the pavement where hundreds was killed by passing cars.

The Squirrels eat everything all the nuts Heartnut, Hickories, Walnuts Chestnut they were so hungry they would chew the burs off the chestnut to get to the nuts they ate all the pears and fruit they could find and even I saw them catching and eating insects.

In my 46 years of life I have never witness anything like this,  I know this is the worst case scenario but I even went to the extremes of buying a new automatic Shot gun to kill the buggers and I gave up.    I seen that I was out gunned and out numbered they literally came in waves.

 Good hunting is the only advice I can give.

Clifford England

England's Orchard and Nursery

316 KY HWY 2004

McKeeKY  40447

Specializing in Exotic Fruit and Nut trees for alternative crops.  Phone 606 965 2228 / 2270  Cell # 859 582 2114

On the web at www.nuttrees.net

Does anybody have any advice about how to keep squirrels out of apple

trees?  I've finally figured a way to keep the deer out, but now the squirrels

are killing me.    They are close enough that a squirrel can jump from one

to another so a trunk guard is not an option.   Neither is a canopy net.

Jerry in southern Indiana