nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Soil ammendment question

  • From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Soil ammendment question
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:07:48 -0500

Thanks.  I can't imagine buying earthworm casings, as I find I get plenty of earthworms where ever I spread organic matter.   But these showed up at my doorstep, so I'll spread them somewhere.  :-)

So half an inch or so of shredded leaves on the lawn and 3 inches around the other stuff.

Thanks to all who replied.

-- Ginda

Jim Fruth wrote:

Ginda asked, "Do you think it would help or hurt the lawn if I spread a thin
coat of shredded leaves over the area with poor soil?
How deeply do you think I can mulch the epimedia and red bud with shredded
leaves?
Do you think the earthworm casings will help the epimedia and red bud? How
much would you spread?"

I have a neighbor who brings his Oak leaves and I use them mainly in
aisles. If a permanent aisle, I spread 4" thick. If that aisle will be
planted next year, perhaps two to three inches. If you are using it for
mulch around your plants, I'd suggest the lesser thicknesses hoping
rainwater will penetrate it.

As for earthworm castings, I'd rather buy the medium that the worms were
inserted into. After all, the worms had to take nutrients out of it in
order to grow. When I lived in California, I had a neighbor who grew
earthworms in horse manure and, as a silly experiment, I learned that my
plants performed infinitely better with the manure than with the castings.
In my opinion, castings are not what they are hyped up to be.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: