nafex - [NAFEX] Why pine needle mulch is best

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Why pine needle mulch is best
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:35:11 -0500

Jim Nottkel wrote, "I conclude that "acid-loving plants" like pine needles (and pine sawdust) for some reason other than acidity"

A major reason why pine needles may be the best mulch is because they tend to be hydrophobic. When it rains, the very top needles get wet but generally not those farther below. Most of the rain passes through them to the ground. With all other mulches I have worked with, the ground gets no moisture until all of the mulch is thoroughly saturated.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Why pine needle mulch is best, Jim Fruth, 10/28/2009