nafex - [NAFEX] Induce the development of female persimmon flowers

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Induce the development of female persimmon flowers
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2009 01:40:17 EDT

In a message dated 10/21/2009 10:21:47 PM Central Daylight Time, abb7@Lehigh.EDU writes:

One snag is that most cultivars apparently do not produce male
flowers.  Hokkaido does, and apparently Great Wall and or Hana Fuyu,
according to Bass? results this season.  I?ve heard of a hormone
treatment that will induce the development of female flowers on male
D. virginiana?.is ther any such trick to get male flowers on a female
D. kaki?

I believe you are looking for Gibberellic acid. I've read that ribbing it on the bark of female trees very early spring will bring on male flowers. Have no experience using it.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Induce the development of female persimmon flowers, Jwlehman, 10/25/2009