nafex - Re: [NAFEX] when apples should be harvested, based on Z6, NY

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] when apples should be harvested, based on Z6, NY
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:14:38 -0500

It's hard to know without experience, the requirement of any given variety, so the time to experiment is just as the trees start bearing. Pick some earlier and some later and see what happens.

Thanks, Alan. This is my first year with fruit, so I was worried about losing some of it. And frankly, I stopped spraying too soon - or just didn't spray frequently enough - so my late fruit has been quite wormy (mostly the Asian pears - codling moth larvae - but also some of the apples). I know those won't keep long, and it can be hard to spot which ones are infested.

I'll try to do better next year, and if we have another cool one, I'll experiment with leaving some apples on the tree longer. Although, I DO like green apples... :-)

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Certainly from our standpoint, this gives us a sense of momentum - when the United States has accolades tossed its way, rather than shoes. - Assistant Secretary of State PJ Crowley, re. Barack Obama's Nobel Peace Prize