nafex - [NAFEX] Injera made with yogurt and bread yeast?

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Injera made with yogurt and bread yeast?
  • Date: Sun, 4 Oct 2009 07:18:48 -0400

Now there's an off topic subject I just can't leave alone.  My wife is Ethiopian, and when I read of Jay using yogurt culture and generic bread yeast to make injera we had to chuckle a bit.  Got to give the man credit, though, for using teff flour.  Teff is a grain virtually unique to Ethiopia that gives injera, the wonderful, fluffy, Ethiopian flat bread, a large measure of it's character.

However, to make authentic injera she suggests leaving the yogurt out of the recipe as well as the bread yeast.  The yeast should come from the fermented teff flour itself. Wonder what Jay's recipe is for berbere, a spice mixture that's kindof the curry of Ethiopia.  You can't have good Ethiopian food without both injera and a good berbere.  I love Ethiopian food!

  • [NAFEX] Injera made with yogurt and bread yeast?, Alan Haigh, 10/04/2009