nafex - [NAFEX] bitter pit question

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] bitter pit question
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:19:24 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I have a young 'Sundance' apple tree the produced its first crop this year.
The fruit, as it matures, develops sunken purplish regions that are very
bitter to taste and have dead brown cells underneath.

However, it's not classic bitter pit in one sense... the lesions are mostly
on the stem end of the fruit, not the calyx end. How common is that
distribution? Is there something else it could be?

Some background on this tree that may be informative... It was the one apple
tree that I did not thin adequately, thus the crop was too big for the tree.
Also, it received calcium acetate sprays approximately every other week from
petal fall to midsummer (which I would think would reduce bitter pit). No
other trees in the orchard have this disorder and all other apples got the
calcium sprays.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on the subject.

Anton