nafex - Re: [NAFEX] quince

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] quince
  • Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 07:03:28 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Jay,

It could be a lot of things, including:
Is the tree very vigorous? (possible nitrogen excess) How many inches of
growth has it been putting on each year?
Is the tree shaded for a significant part of the day? (possible insufficient
light for good fruit bud formation)
Do you have strong dry winds during bloom?

And even though some quinces are self-pollenizing, I've often wondered if
other cultivars are not. I don't claim to be a quince expert by any stretch
of the imagination, but after staying at a Holiday Inn Express, I began to
wonder if my 'Lisle Special' needed a pollenizer. Only after my 'Aromatnaya'
begin blooming did the 'Lisle Special' set fruit.

Anton
Zone 8, North Carolina Piedmont