nafex - [NAFEX] quince fire blight (was medlar death)

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] quince fire blight (was medlar death)
  • Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 22:19:18 -0400

Anton, I have a Pineapple and a Smyrna.  I used to have an Aromatnaya but it died of fireblight several years ago.  This year I only got a couple fruits because the fireblight infected nearly all the fruits at the 1-2" size and they mummified.  On the original topic of Medlars I also lost a Breda Giant to fireblight; my remaining Royal medlar has blight problems as well.

For some reason I never get fireblight on my pears, the crop you hear most about FB on; I have around 50 varieties many of which are considered highly susceptible.  The apples get it badly, but not as bad as quince and medlar which are the worst by far.

Scott

Scott,

What quinces do you grow?

I've not yet had a fireblight epiphytotic here so the 2 cultivars I've been growing have not been tested this way, although the Lisle Special has had terrible quince rust problems.

Anton
Zone 8, North Carolina Piedmont

  • [NAFEX] quince fire blight (was medlar death), Scott Smith, 09/15/2009