nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Do Apples Continue to Ripen?

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Do Apples Continue to Ripen?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 06:55:38 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Megan,

Depends on several factors, including how mature the fruit were and the
cultivar. If they were a month off, I suspect they will never reach decent
quality. But apples can mature somewhat off the tree.

I'd recommend a couple of things:
Cut open a couple of fruit and inspect the seeds- if they aren't dark brown
and plump, you may want to just compost the apples.
If they pass that test, then put them in the fridge with a ripe apple for a
few weeks, then bring out a few at a time to see if they've improved. The
ethylene emitted from the ripe apple will help ripen them if they've advanced
enough to respond favorably and the time will give the phenolic compounds
some opportunity to polymerize, thus reducing bitterness and astringency.

YNP was not adapted to the climate where I attempted to grow them in the 80's
& 90's so we ended up with a lot of large, beautiful apples fit only for
sauce, whereas other cultivars performed well. It's a great apple if your
climate and soil will support it. Your mileage may vary.
Best of luck,

Anton