nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Biodynamic

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Biodynamic
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 20:12:45 -0400

On Aug 31, 2009, at 5:03 PM, Richard MURPHY wrote:

<x-tad-smaller> Hi Gang;</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>  </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> It's Cynical Murph (he's not gonna talk, is he?)</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>  </x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller> Can somebody please briefly define the term 'Biodynamic' ??</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>  </x-tad-smaller>

Organic farming with an additional layer of philosophy/religion.

Better explained by a biodynamic practitioner than by somebody like me, who, believe it or not, tends to turn into Cynical Rivka on the subject; though I think that in some areas their ideas are good. In other areas I can't see what's being accomplished other than, possibly, focusing the farmer's mind on the subject; and it would not properly focus my personal mind to do some of that stuff.

http://www.demeter-usa.org/about-biodynamic-agriculture/

I would to some extent disagree with that entry page about organic in that, while USDA-defined organic certainly doesn't get into it, there are organic growers who are indeed trying to consider the farm as an organic unit, and/or to minimize outside inputs in a similar fashion, but who aren't following other biodynamic practices.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly