nafex - Re: [NAFEX] California's screwed tree crops

  • From: Bob Randall <YearRoundGardening@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] California's screwed tree crops
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:29:18 -0500

Richard,

I've been out of computer range for awhile. Sorry to delay this response.  I'll try to respond to the issues you raise. You said

I live in NW FL zone 9 on Arbor Day map. Well, ironically, Tampa is also in zone 9 for the 2006 map!  The climate is markedly different between here and there--at least a zone or more, I'd say.

I'm not surprised. I don't like the USDA zone concept at all, and it is close to useless for serious tree work in a borderland semitropical area like  the Upper Texas Gulf Coast where we are growing guavas, mangoes apples, papayas and pears, and where temperatures change not only with degree of urbanization and distance from the coast (not even considering long run changes).

The data I published at
are designed to deal with a range of weather data--such as the local range in the number of frosts, date of frosts, low temperature, chill, etc. and help people who are both in very urban settings like central Houston and very rural areas far from the coast like Willis (where Leon Atlas tested many apples and pears in the 1980's.)  They are not averages--rather percentages of years when different conditions held.  Richard, you (or someone else) could extend low temperatures to the last 40 years in your area if you have the time and find the archive data, and make a table based on percentages where the yearly low was below 8˚, 12˚, 16˚, 20˚, etc..

The zone maps as I understand them are based on the mean-average low temperature recorded over the last 20 years. Since the period from 1970-89 was the coldest 20 years of winters in our area (and Gulf Coast at least) in the last 140 (because of the 1980's freezes, El Nino, low mean temperatures and much else--volcanoes?), it is quite possible and even probable that the zone changes are related to the difference between the decades and as well urban heat island. They also may be related to global warming (which is measured from satellite area sampling in the lower?? atmosphere I think), but it may take decades to see just what this means and how bad it is. My data show that the Houston area 5 month summers have been in the last 20 years by far the hottest (in monthly averages) in the last 140 years, so our irrigation situation and plant stress issues have been accelerating.

I would suggest that anyone who is wondering what the weather situation is like in their area during recent decades (whatever the cause), go to the NOAA website http://forecast.weather.gov/zipcity.php  and put in your zip code, then use that link to track down archival data from your area airports on weather from the last decade or two.  This is tedious work (winter low temperatures are reported by calendar year--not winter (which straddles two calendar years).  At least it will tell you what has really been happening in your area at airports.  If you think your data is much different from the airports' data, compare what your readings are with theirs on a series of cold and warm nights and adjust their data to your personal case

You may be able alternatively to get data easier from http://www.wolframalpha.com
I tried entering temperature february 1980 Galveston TX and instantly got a result for the average, minimum, and maximum

However, if you pick a place without data for that year, you get the nearest national weather service station where data is--and it could be at considerable distance from what you entered.

Bob

"Share What You Grow and What You Know!"

Bob Randall, Ph.D.
713-661-9737