nafex - [NAFEX] Summer Blood Birne pear

  • From: "V. Michael Bove, Jr." <vmb@teakettlefarm.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Summer Blood Birne pear
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 14:19:20 -0400

It took nine years from planting, but we finally got pears from our Summer Blood Birne tree this year (actually, I got only a few and the raccoons got a lot; now that I have a better sense of when they're ripe the humans can better the odds in future). Brief observations: They're not quite what I was expecting from the (limited) descriptions I've read -- the pears are Seckel-sized, and not blushed with red but rather violently spattered with it. Flesh is almost bubble-gum pink till it's fully soft and then it's a sort of liverish color. Texture is melting and taste rather good.

As they say in the music biz, "NCP" (no commercial potential), but like much NCP music quite nice to have around as an alternative to the usual stuff.

Michael Bove
Teakettle Farm, Z6 (MA/RI border)

  • [NAFEX] Summer Blood Birne pear, V. Michael Bove, Jr., 08/17/2009