nafex - [NAFEX] summer pruning in Z6 NY

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] summer pruning in Z6 NY
  • Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:17:08 -0400

I don't know about the Lorette pruning method- my customers have land and I only manage a few espaliers.  I suggested earlier that I only prune these once a season in mid-summer but this isn't always the case- sometimes I prune them once in about mid-June and once somewhere near the end of July.  I do this when the trees are more vigorous than I'd like and mostly for appearance sake.  So I agree with Lee that this can sometimes enhance appearance.  Often with pears it is not at all necessary.

This year I summer pruned my own free-standing, semi-standard apple trees earlier than usual- also around mid-June, and regrowth, in spite of all the rain, has been limited.  I did it to bring more light and air on the fruit earlier and so far I'm very glad I did so.  Sooty blotch and flyspeck are much less prevalent than normal in spite of our monsoon.  I guess it could have also been the cool weather but I'd rather give credit to the pruning for now.  I'll see what happens next year.

  • [NAFEX] summer pruning in Z6 NY, Alan Haigh, 08/15/2009