nafex - [NAFEX] garden berries

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] garden berries
  • Date: Sat, 8 Aug 2009 09:12:35 -0500

I have bought "Wonder Berry" and "Garden Nightshade" seed from nurseries finding both to be inedible raw and almost inedible cooked. Neither resemble the "wild" Solanum nigrum that has a pleasant raw taste. Two problems with S. nigrum is their small size and, like gooseberries, the stems stay on the berry when picked.
I once talked to a fellow from the St. Paul Campus of the University of Minnesota who said they have a variety of S. nigrum that yields larger berries (2X to 3X the size of the wild type) that they use for Genetics studies. If you could obtain some of that seed, it might be worth growing.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] garden berries, Jim Fruth, 08/08/2009