nafex - Re: [NAFEX] repair grafting question

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] repair grafting question
  • Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 14:07:30 -0400

Hi Deb,
Just how much "acreage" of bark is missing? If the peach has only 1/3 of the bark on a main branch, does that mean the other main branches are OK or does it mean the other main branches are completely girdled?
Also, are these small young trees or are they bigger?
Usually, when a tree gets girdled, it's damage on the trunk. You can bridge graft that fairly easily. With goats, of course, they could eat higher up making the situation harder to deal with.

Steve

Deb S wrote:
I have a peach and pear tree that my goats chewed the bark on (grrrr) when they made an escape from their pen one night. The peach still has about 1/3 of it's bark on one of the main branches, the pear is in worse shape.

I thought I'd try bridge grafting. Is this something I can safely do at this time of year? Also is there some product I can put over the chewed sections to protect the wood?

Thanks for any help.

deb

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----