nafex - [NAFEX] Subject: Re: Wonderberries

  • From: Toni Pralle <toni.pralle@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Subject: Re: Wonderberries
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 22:09:03 -0500

>All I can tell you is that Wonderberries are sweet and edible right off
the plant.  They are soft and juicy so I find it easiest to pick
individual "trusses" of berries, wash, and then strip them into a bowl
for immediate use.  They make decent pies with the addition of
thickener and lemon juice.
I can send photos offlist.>

I'll tell you what almost always happens. I step into the garden "just to see what's growing" and then I pull a weed; or two; or three. And there's a ripe (fill in the blank) that should be picked. Oh, and would you look at that! Better pick that, too. and if I let these (fill in the blank) go another day they'll be past prime so I'd better take the time to pick them, too. And, needless to say, I'm one of those who samples as I pick. Too many times nothing makes it to the house. I guess that's why the picnic table sets next to the garden. My guess is I will eat them as I pick them and there will never be a pie. I'm pretty sure you sent me pictures and I am pretty sure if I looked in my gardening folder I would find them. As I recall, wait until they're black. Right?

--
Toni in zone 4 Iowa USA
http://www.stopanimalid.org/

  • [NAFEX] Subject: Re: Wonderberries, Toni Pralle, 08/04/2009