nafex - [NAFEX] other bees, article

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] other bees, article
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:15:10 -0500

What an interesting article!  We have plenty of wild bees, but I'd never thought how much they are limited in town, or what a surburbanite could do to help them.  Last year the Ayers pears that fell from a tree in town were heavily covered with honeybees and bumblebees, but not one yellowjacket or hornet.  I thought then how people being neatniks interfere with smaller creatures.
    We have some fuzzy little ground nesting bees that work a flat muddy spot where we walk all the time.  They dig their little vertical holes there to start next year's generation.  What I find quite interesting is that it seems our dogs scrape up the clay with their front teeth and eat it.  There are several places the dogs do this, and I am quite sure they are finding the little bee grubs or pupae good eating.  I never see them eat dirt anywhere else.  Donna

  • [NAFEX] other bees, article, Kieran &/or Donna, 08/01/2009