nafex - [NAFEX] Saskatoons in zone 4 Maine

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Saskatoons in zone 4 Maine
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:55:29 -0700

Hello All;

I have a few hundred Saskatoon plants in New Sharon, Maine.

Amelanchier Alnifolia 'Smoky'. a few Northline babies...

They got off to a rough start, but now some of them are over my head. The flavor of the berries is more Almond-like than anything else. There are a few seeds in each one, but these seeds are like little chips of almond nut; they chew right up. That's why the berry has 9.7% protein; popular with the indigenous folk. In fact, the pie I made didn't really have any sort of seed that would get caught in my teeth. My biggest problem is an unidentified little parasite that bores a single hole into each berry, if not sprayed. No CAR, but leaf spot is a problem. Entomosporium is the name. The U.S. doesn't list any pesticides for these plants, so I've been copying Canada. I do a single, early season blast of Clorothalonil, then another right after harvest.

Amelanchier Canadensis (wild serviceberry) is in my hedgerows, but is not a disease magnet. Finally, if you do not net these berries, the birds will vacuum them off a bush in a heartbeat!!

Murph