nafex - [NAFEX] Who wants a research project?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Who wants a research project?
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:34:18 -0500

Do any of you want to develop a purple raspberry that will thrive in zone 3, or perhaps also zone 2? My farm is at saturation point so I have no room to do it. Consequently, I throw them away whenever I get any (several each year).

Purple raspberries are a cross between a black raspberry and a red raspberry. The bees travel between my Pequot black raspberry and the red raspberries and cross pollinate. A bird eats the berry, poops it out and plants grow. I dig out all mis-placed plants, put most in pots for sale and a few go straight into the black raspberry patch to replace dead ones. The potted plants are all for sale after they get big enough for me to weed out the red raspberry and purple raspberry plants; I only sell black raspberry plants in pots and I charge $3.50.
The possible crosses with red raspberries include Latham, Boyne, Encore, Nova, K-81-6 or the wild plants that grow on a neighbor's property.
I've got 10(+/-) purple raspberry plants in my black raspberry patch now that I'll be pulling out this Fall. If you want them, I'll dig them out so you'll get survivable plants. As for any seedlings I get, when I identify them, instead of destroying them, I'd plant them to be dug out once they go dormant. That'll be more work than I normally do but I'd sell all plants to you at my normal rate of $3.50 plus postage. You'd get bare-root plants in October. Any other details could be worked out between you and I.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more:
www.jellygal.com
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] Who wants a research project?, Jim Fruth, 07/25/2009