nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sport or Something Else?

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "nottke1" <nottke1@earthlink.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sport or Something Else?
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 22:52:43 -0500

Jim,
Seckel is not compatible with quince, so it was probably grafted on quince with a very small peice of something compatible in between. That part doesn't matter because the vigorous branch starts far above the ground. The tree has grown slowly because the quince rootstock grows slowly, and it probably doesn't like your soil. Quince is said to like rather wet heavy soils. If your graft union is below or at ground level, I would guess that you have indeed had either the Seckel or the interstem develop a root and your dwarf is going to turn into a standard. But that may not be the case. I have had own root plants that spent years not growing, and then suddenly they reached some critical mass or got their roots into a good source of nutrition or something, and suddenly the plant took off. I planted 8 small blueberry plants spring 2005, a drought year, with 2007 another drought year and 2006 and 2008 barely adequate rainfall. These plants spent 4 years in stasis, and then suddenly this year they are growing. Nearly chopped off a vigorous sprout today, I wasn't looking for anything to stick up above the tiny shrub.
Have you looked carefully at the original trunk above the vigorous branch? You may find something inconspicious, a sunken place or discoloration that slowed the original trunk. Donna